Monday, March 05, 2007

On the road again!!! :-)


On Thursday last week, I found out that my orthotics had finally arrived!!! I didn't have an appointment with the PT until Monday, but they said I could swing by and pick them up...so I picked them up that day! I started wearing them Friday and on Sunday, I went for a run! It was glorious...it felt so good to be out there. It was an easy 3 miles. Afterwards, my foot did ache a bit so I iced it, stretched it and took good care of it. My daughter was excited at the prospect of being able to run together again - and I was going to run with her early today - but decided to wait until after my PT appointment this morning to get the official word about how much running I can do and when.

At the PT appointment, I told her what happened. I admitted that I didn't slowly break in the orthotics (you are supposed to wear it for 1 hour one day, then 2 hours the next day, and so on). I just put them in my shoes and started wearing them. She said that was fine as well as they felt ok (which they did). She just cautioned me to take it easy, and stretch, stretch, stretch and massage. She then asked me when I was planning to run again. I told her tonight with my daughter, and she said that was great!!!

So yesterday I ran 3.07 miles in 37:25 min with a stretching break halfway through. Today, I ran 2.32 miles with my daughter in 31:29 min (running 2 min and walking 1 min) with a stretching break halfway through. I did some audio recording during both runs so I have lots of podcast material. The quality actually sounds pretty good. I am hoping to finish up my first episode sometime this week.

Tomorrow is elliptical with strength training, then another run on Wed.

After such a long break (a month) of not running, I feared that the habit and enjoyment for running I developed while training for the marathon last year would be lost. This was not at all the case. It was even more enjoyable! I suppose knowing what I was missing made it feel so much better when returning to the road.

It is good to be back!

Oh, and if you haven't already done so, check out Susan's blog "I Run For My Life" and read about her incredible marathon this past weekend (way to go Susan)!!!

8 comments:

Irish Blue said...

Glad you're back at it and doing well with the orthotics.

I did successfully download and listen to your podcast on Susan's run. Very cool...I'll check out her site.

Your advice to me - 20 minutes for a truffle, yikes. I think looking at food that way will help me a lot. Thanks Chris!!

Nigelrunner said...

Chris,

Look forward to hearing the podcast ! Glad to hear you are back on the raod.

Nigel.

Susan said...

All sounds FABULOUS! Quality time with your daughter, no orthotic troubles, the good audio - wow!

I remember feeling the same way after my last 3 week break. Relieved to still have the "zest" for it all!

Faithful Soles said...

I hope the orthotics continue to work well for you. I'm overcoming a bad left shin splint injury and am starting to wonder if I may need them. I've always been a very neutral runner, but maybe in my old age my feet are changing.

By the way, I wanted to thank you again for linking to our Blog Database on the main Faithful Soles web site. We now have bloggers from 37 states in the USA and 20 other countries.

Kevin said...

Great to have you back girl!!

Maddy said...

Welcome back to the world of running!

ShirleyPerly said...

Great to hear you're back to running!!!

I'm in severe catch-up mode having been gone so long but will try to listen to your podcast soon. I will also check out Susan's blog. I had a mishap at mile 8 of the race and ended up with my worst race time ever but still ended up enjoying the race.

Unknown said...

awesome that you are back out on the road! YAY!