Wednesday, March 28, 2007

My number 1 priority...

I got the news yesterday that one of the things I was working on at work needed to be my number 1 priority - and that we were going to do what it takes to make the deadline. So I "saluted" smartly and set off to make it happen, adjusting my other activities.

Today I got the news that the other thing I was working on is my number 1 priority - and that we had to do what it takes to get this completed for the deadline. So I "saluted" smartly as I headed home to figure out what we need to do to make it happen on time.

Understanding, of course, that when the second one became number 1, the first one is still number 1.

Don't you love it when that happens?

At that point, you let the managers you work for fight it out....and meanwhile try to do both items.

Well, that called for a nice easy long run. I got home today and wanted to just get out and do a few miles nice and easy. In fact, my goal was to keep my heart rate at an aerobic pace and see how far I could go without a walking break. About 4.25 miles later I took a break to talk with another neighborhood runner I had not seen in quite some time and we walked together for about .25 mile catching up. She was walking her dog and doing her warm up walking. It was nice catching up. I sprinted the last .35 mile home for a total of 5 miles and 1:00:44. Average heart rate was 158 bpm.

That was a great run! I was nice and relaxed. Afterwards the family went out for a bite at a new Outback Steakhouse that opened about 3 miles from our house. And now I need to go to bed, as soon as I spend some time on my number 1 task(s).

Computer update: Still no computer :-(

Foot update: Foot did fine for run today. We will see how it feels tomorrow. I am planning a couple of miles with my daughter again.

Hope all is well out there!!! Live strong!

5 comments:

Maddy said...

That sounds like it was great - a nice easy run.

Do your #1 and #1 priority work projects put your running on hold for a bit? Or will it just limit the amount of time you have?

MarathonChris said...

Generally work will be a bit limiting - I may not run as often as I like. But running helps with my sanity so I don't usually put my running on hold. I did my marathon training through a busy proposal time in Nov - Dec - and focused on being faithful to the long runs.

It becomes a choice between sleep or running. Sometimes you can't run unless you have enough rest.

It may, however, impact the podcasting. I will have to spend less time editing and more time just "getting it out." But since my computer is still on hiatus this is currently not an issue.

Sigh! I wonder what everyone else does when work / life get busy....

The important thing to me is to maintain balance with my family. So the runs with my daughter will be done at a minimum.

Susan said...

Jeez Louise! Well, I think you have faced these "priorities" like a champ - you did a run and cleared your mind of them! HA! I mean, sometimes the best way to get something started is to walk away for a bit and figure out the best way to tackle it. I think you will succeed - you'll knock their socks off by completing both priority projects in fabulous form!

Unknown said...

And they probably wanted BOTH projects yesterday...

ShirleyPerly said...

Glad you were able to get in a relaxing run to relieve some of the stress you must be feeling with those 2 deadlines. I remember being amazed that you were going to work on that proposal after the long runs we did together!

I'll get you those band & ball workouts next week. I had so much to do before leaving this morning for the race tomorrow that I didn't get around to it -- sorry.