Monday, September 24, 2007

Great Running But a Not so Happy Ending

Running here in Sioux Falls has been great. When I got in Sunday afternoon, although it was hot and windy, I got out to do a few "junk" miles to push my weekly total over 30. It was a beautiful run, one I would not call "junk."

Today the weather became rainy, but by the time I got out of work, the rain had stopped - and although it was still cloudy, I figured I could get in a quick run. The temperature was around 70 degrees and there was a nice breeze - great weather for a run.

My Garmin was having a hard time finding satellites so I decided to just start running using the timer. I figured I would run for 30 min, turn around, run 30 min back - that should amount to a 5+ mile run. Along with me I brought my cellphone, room key, drivers license and a 5 dollar bill in case I decided to get something to drink.

What a super run! The air smelled and felt like a cool fall day. I ran hard and enjoyed the run. Along the way I ran by a field with multiple Junior Football games going on. There I bought a bottle of water. Then I kept running. About 31 min into my run I decided to turn around. On the way back, I made a pit stop at one of the park bathrooms, then sprinted the last bit. I felt great!

As I walked into the hotel I stopped at the vending machine to buy a Powerade with the change from the water...and the 3 dollars I had with my phone was gone. Not only that - so was my drivers license. I went up to the room to see if perhaps I had left the license there. I ran back down the trail a bit but didn't see it toward the end. I was too tired and it was starting to get dark, so I didn't want to retrace my entire run, so I jumped in my car and drove back to the small park where I stopped to use the bathroom....nothing there. I ran up and down the trail near there with no result. Next I drove over to the football game - and checked with the counter where I bought the water, also checking the lost and found...nothing.

I drove to two more small parks along the running route and spoke with other walkers and runners asking if they had see anything. Still nothing. I let them know which hotel I was staying in just in case they found it. It was now too dark to look any longer.

So I now have another dilemma. Not having a drivers license means I can't fly home. I have no government issued identification. I called my wonderful husband who will be fedexing my passport to me tomorrow. I will have to leave even later on Wed than planned. I am just so depressed. If I am feeling up to it, I may take a run tomorrow to see what I can find...or just to enjoy the cool weather for one more day. The high temperature for tomorrow is suppose to be 58!


IrishBlue said...

Chris, sorry to hear about your license. I hope things workout. Hang in there, k.

Susan said...

Oh Chris I am so sorry. That bites. But don't let it get you down - you are a strong woman! Your passport will be there soon enough. Home awaits! What's a few hours?

When I saw the title of your post I thought - God forbid - that you had been mugged or something like that. SO hearing that it was only your DL was a relief for me.

MarathonChris said...

Sorry, didn't mean to scare anyone with the title of the post I will change it a little...

But Susan, you remind me that many worse things could have happened. Losing a license and being delayed a few hours is really nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Petraruns said...

Oh Chris - it's a real pain when things like this happen but like Susan I was REALLY worried when I read your title so I'm relieved this is the extent of it. Annoying but replaceable right? and you might get an extra, cool run in.. Keep looking on the bright side hon!