Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Running Right Along....


Pic from Race for the Cure 5K - my 5K PR of 30:03 min
I am in the third week of my training plan that has me strength training, cross training and running twice on Wed. I have to say that the plan is working extremely well. My average heart rate has dropped quite a bit while my pace has picked up. I think the strength training has made quite a difference. I ran 5.1 miles this morning at a 10:40 min/mile pace - I really worked it hard with a 180 bpm podrunner mix for the last 2 miles (which was hard to maintain) but with an AHR of 159. Then this afternoon I did an "easy" 3 mile run (I swear I was running easy)with only one 15 second walking break when I turned around...at a 10:44 min/mi pace at an AHR of 149.

I know training is supposed to do this, but it just seems so amazing to me when it actually happens.

With today's 3.1 miler at 33:24 min, I think I can bust that 30 min 5K time I have been aiming for. My PR for the 5K is 30:03 min - run when I was in top form last fall.

Since last Friday:

Sunday: 12.66 miles in 2:31:12, an 11:57 min/mi pace
Monday: Rest day (I almost went running - was in a funk when I got home from work)
Tuesday: 5.0 miles in 53:11 min, a 10:38 min/mi pace

7 comments:

Maddy said...

That is great! Your training is going so well! Are you aimimg to break the under 30 minute 5k mark at the Watermelon 5k?

I know you can do it!

Keep up the excellent work!

Petraruns said...

Wow Chris! I know I shouldn't be jumping from one horse to the other (as it were) but can you tell me a bit more about your schedule? Have you got it written down / on your computer? I'm intrigued..

Susan said...

Wow! I feel so lazy! I am just taking it easy over here...

I would like to try to break my 5K PR on June 23rd... but I'd take something close to it. I have to get in gear, though!

Cory said...

Awesome to hear that your training is going so well.

dj steve boyett said...

Chris--
Congratulations on your accomplishments, and thank you for training with Podrunner!
--dj steve boyett

MarathonChris said...

I am considering the Watermelon 5K. That is not a timed race, so I would have to go with what the Garmin says my time is. I might do the race for fun!

The Orlando Running Club is sponsoring a 5K at Blanchard Park on June 16th that appears to be a timed event. That is coming up next week...so I am not sure if I will do it. But it is close by (Blanchard Park is not far from UCF) so I may check it out.

Irish Blue said...

I'm hoping to break a 30 minute 5K this summer too. You can do it! Nice work on the training.