Thursday, April 05, 2007
If you have ever read the book "Ultramarathon Man" or heard of the Endurance 50 (running 50 marathons in 50 states in 50 consecutive days, then you know who Dean Karnazes is. Tonight, my daughter and I got a chance to meet him in person!
We got to Stetson University about an hour before the talk and he happened to be inside setting up. We came in, met him and had a chance to chat with him, just the two of us, for about 10-15 min. Then we let him get back to preparing while we wandered across campus to get a quick bite.
When we returned about 40 min later, the hall was beginning to fill up and Dean was out of the area. We should have gotten our book signed while we had him all to ourselves....and a few pictures too! But we were happy we got some time just to talk. My daughter told him what a fan she was and how she had started running. He told us about his son running 9 miles on his 9th birthday!
We still managed to get a great seat near the front and right at the center stairway. This proved strategic for getting the book signed later. He showed a clip of his interview on the David Letterman show, then talked about his running and how he got got started. He then addressed questions he is typically asked and then opened the floor up for 30 minutes of open questions. It was great. Interesting facts we learned:
- Dean's resting heart rate is 38 bpm
- His favorite race was the 35th marathon in his 50-50-50 on his son's birthday when he ran the last 9 miles of the race with his son
- Longest continuous running distance is 350 miles
- Favorite ultra race is the Western States 100 miler
- Last year he went through about 40 pairs of running shoes
- In preparation for the 50-50-50 he ran 4 100 mile races and 8 marathons
After the questions we were first in line for the book signing!!!
We had a great time!