Sunday, December 10, 2006

15 miles along a Florida waterway

And yes, we did see an alligator! Shirley and I had a wonderful 15 mile out and back run along the Econlockhatchee River outside of Orlando. It was a sunny morning starting out around 55 deg F and ending a little over 3 hours later with a temp of 66 degrees.

We met at 7:30 am. I fired up my Garmin and off we went. The park where we met the river trail was about 2 miles from where we started. Then it continued around 5 miles until our turn around point. The trail, which is also a bike trail, was not very crowded and I felt good the entire way.

Distance: 15.3 miles
Time: 3:05:06
Avg pace: 12:06 min/mile
Avg heart rate: 153 bpm
Water: 28 oz
Gels: 4 Clif Shots

I was feeling pretty tired toward the end - and there was a bit of a hill 2 miles from the end as well - but overall it was a very good run. My heel has ached a bit since then, but the ice seems to be bringing it back, and by Tuesday I will be ready for a run.

Plan for this week: A couple of 5 milers - easy week leading up to my 24 - 25 miler this weekend. Shirley suggested I run 5 hours or 25 miles. 5 hours will show I am ready for the marathon time, 25 miles, well, shows I am ready for the race. Then the official taper begins! Just 4 weeks left until the big race!!!

5 comments:

ShirleyPerly said...

Chris,

Great run today and good to see that your avg HR stayed well below 160.

I know some Galloway programs have 26+ miles long training runs listed but I really think it's not worth the risk, esp. with the heel and foot tendon issues you've mentioned. A lot of marathoners never run over 20 miles in training.

Remember that you will be well rested before your actual race and have a lot more adrenaline too to go faster and longer. I've always found that a 20-22 mile training run is much harder than running an actual marathon.

I'll be thinking of you while in Hawaii next week. Good luck!

Susan said...

Sounds so good! And only 4 weeks left!

Anonymous said...

Wow sis, great job, cool picture you put on the web. I'm so glad, I so excited, the race will be here before you know it. Anyway, good luck, I'm glad your feeling great. Keep it up!! Love ya sis. Tammy

Unknown said...

Chris,
I got you email from my site. I didn't have another email address handy, so I am attempting to reply here...

If you put my feed in iTunes, it should be able to get it. I was trying to get it on iTunes (listed and such) when I was in American Samoa, but it didn't like that I was at a non US (mainland) ISP.

Thanks for reminding me, I will try to do it today. If you want to download the show straight off my website, it's www.planet3rry.com/gravity1053

thanks a bunch... now let's see if login works [holding breath]

Unknown said...

Chris,
I got you email from my site. I didn't have another email address handy, so I am attempting to reply here...

If you put my feed in iTunes, it should be able to get it. I was trying to get it on iTunes (listed and such) when I was in American Samoa, but it didn't like that I was at a non US (mainland) ISP.

Thanks for reminding me, I will try to do it today. If you want to download the show straight off my website, it's www.planet3rry.com/gravity1053

thanks a bunch... now let's see if login works [holding breath]

3 failed attempts, THEN it logged my profile but ate the whole post. Geez... thank goodness for ctrl+c