Monday, October 29, 2007

The 32nd Marine Corps Marathon


“By endurance we conquer”

- Sir Ernest Shackleton


Life is an adventure. And in that adventure, things happen that you don’t expect, and resolutions occur that are beyond what you can imagine – that is what makes it an adventure.

The Marine Corps Marathon was all I thought it would be and more. The weather was perfect, the spectators were fantastic, the Marines were awesome, and I ran a good race.

There are so many interesting details – I am putting this in multiple posts – rather than put you through the agony of one long 5 page post (I am too verbose, I can’t help it).

The synopsis is here:

What went well? Just about everything!

What went poorly? I didn’t really run the race like I trained (but it worked out anyway).

Where was I lucky? This really isn’t luck, but my friend Karen pulled through like a champ in ways I didn’t expect. In addition, I had excellent on-line race support from all my blogging buddies (this was not unexpected).

Where was I unlucky? I couldn’t get a late check out – but I had a better post race option that worked out much better anyway. It also took 45 min to get through airport security for my flight back causing me to almost miss my flight – but I DID make the flight with all bags.

What would I do differently next time? I think I would spend the night and leave the day after the race. Then I could clean up and enjoy some of the post race celebration. For the race, I would definitely run as I trained and planned.

The next few posts provide the details of my experience.

1 comment:

Susan said...

I am loving this so far! I can't wait to read the rest.

I was tired and ready to go to bed - UNTIL I saw that you had posted this. Now I am wide awake! :)