Sunday, August 19, 2007

Hamstrung and a Tough 14


New Smyrna Beach

It's been a tough week of training. I was on travel Tuesday and half of Wednesday and ended up missing 2 runs and all my weight training again this week. On Wednesday afternoon I did get out and do 6 miles. Then on Thursday evening, I thought it would be nice to run with my husband as he begins his training for the Walt Disney World Marathon, his first. He is 6'2" with long legs to my 5'2" frame with very short legs. For this run, he was running a minute and walking a minute, so I figured I would make it interval training for me and an easy run for him.

I ran the intervals fairly hard - my turnover had to be close to 180 bpm. It was a good workout, but about 3 miles into our 4 mile run, left my hamstring, the one that aches every now and then when I over do it, started to ache more than usual. I finished the run but by the time we stopped I was in a good amount of discomfort. It wasn't a sharp pain, but pain nonetheless. I had hoped to make up some of the week's miles on Friday morning but the way my leg felt, I knew Friday was going to be a rest day. Perhaps I could do an easy 3 in the afternoon.

So Friday, I was still pretty uncomfortable, so no running. Saturday, still tight so I took another day off, hoping I could do my 15 miler on today. Saturday we did spend time at the beach (hence the picture) which was really nice!

Today I set off for my 15 miles a bit late. I wasn't going to finish before 10 am so I knew the finish would be hot. I wanted to take it easy because I didn't know how the hamstring would do. When I started to run the first block was surprisingly sore - I began to think I would have to cut the run short. I figured I would give it a couple of miles and see if the pain became bad or if I was just a little stiff. I felt ok after about 3 miles, so I decided to keep going.

After about 3 miles I was already running anaerobically, so I knew that I probably wouldn't finish the goal mileage and it was going to be a tough run.

I stopped after 8.5 miles at my office to refill the Camelbak and let my husband know I wasn't going to finish as quickly as I thought. I cut the course short and headed straight home - stopping a couple miles from the house at a gas station for some gatorade and air conditioning.

I finished 13.94 miles in 2:56:37, about a 12:39 pace. Not too bad given the conditions. Splits:

Mile 1: 12:02
Mile 2: 12:17
Mile 3: 12:10
Mile 4: 12:38
Mile 5: 12:09
Mile 6: 12:42
Mile 7: 12:22
Mile 8: 12:43
Mile 9: 12:33
Mile 10: 12:59
Mile 11: 13:03
Mile 12: 13:00
Mile 13: 13:31
Mile 14: 12:14 (.94 miles)

Lots of walking toward the end. Next week I do my first 20 miler leading up to MCM.

5 comments:

Irish Blue said...

Way to get the long run in, even with the sore hamstring. You are so dedicated. It's very inspiring.

Nice beach pic. Wish I was at the beach right now. Here it's just rain, rain, more rain.

Take care!

Susan said...

I applaud you. You really gave it your all, despite the setbacks. Bravo!

I, on the other hand, have been sedentary since Friday morning. But I think I am finally better. Will blog!

ShirleyPerly said...

Oh, sorry to hear about the hamstring problem! Did you warm-up and stretch beforehand? Before an endurance run or even a tempo run, I don't often actually stop and stretch after my warm-up but if I know I'm going to be doing some serious speedwork, I'll run easy for 1-2 miles, then stop and stretch before proceeding with the speed work. Might be worthwhile trying if you plan to run with Jim again.

MarathonChris said...

Shirley - I will take your advice for sure! When running alone I usualy run easy for the first 1-2 miles before cranking up the tempo. I hesitate to stretch before I have warmed up....so next time I guess I will need to warm up before we go.

It's feeling pretty good today. I only have the tell tale dull ache in my quads from having done a long run - so it appears this won't be a show stopper.

Maddy said...

Way to go toughing out your long run!

Take it easy on your hammy. It sounds like it's just strained. If you have not tried the foam roller, I strongly suggest it. It really helps to work the kinks out.