Sunday, February 10, 2008

Week 1 - 10K Training results

Great week for training!

So far I am on plan. I had two great strength training sessions and ran all my miles. Only modifications: Missed the Wed Tempo run so I ran it on Friday (which was scheduled to be a rest day). My Thursday run included a couple of laps around a small lake near work - through the grass. I wanted to see if that run was feasible to use as a good ankle strengthening exercise. My conclusion was that it probably was, but I pushed my hamstring a bit. When I did the tempo run on Friday - the hamstring hurt more - so instead of 60 min of cross training, I took a rest day on Saturday.

For today's long run of 5 miles, I went out really easy with a nice short stride - felt really great with my heart rate staying nice and low around 150 bpm for much of the run. On the second half I picked up the pace a bit, finishing the 5.12 mile course in 57:39 min - an 11:15 min/mi pace and run as a negative split (first half was 29:30). Oh, and no walking breaks! It was, by far, the best run I have had in some time! I kept it relaxed, so the hamstring only caused a few slight twinges but nothing really bad.

On to week 2....

5 comments:

Petraruns said...

Well done! You sound very positive! I am looking forward to the next podcast as well - keep it up.

ShirleyPerly said...

Excellent! You sound like you're managing your schedule well. Great seeing both you & Jim at the party last weekend. Enjoy the cool weather this week!

Susan said...

WOW - no walk breaks. That is fantastic!

Alisa said...

That's excellent! No walk breaks---great job. I am on week 3 of my marathon plan and am trying to improve my speed. For runs of 4 miles or less I'm at a comfortable 10:00-10:30 pace with no walk breaks but the minute I get over the 4 mile mark...I slow to 11:00-11:30 pace with walk breaks. I was very inspired by your Disneyworld run...I think it's great that you and your husband run together. My husband is MUCH faster so it's hard to run together. Keep it up!

Maddy said...

What a great way to get the training kicked off!

Have you tried a foam roller for your hammy? I'm wondering if that would help... Just a thought.