Friday, May 25, 2007

Staying on Track

The good week of workouts continue:

Wednesday was my first go at running twice in one day. I ran a 4 mile tempo run in the morning to be followed by a 3 mile easy run in the evening. This is to provide a way to build my mid week miles up a bit.

The 4 mile tempo run went well, 4.01 miles in 43:28. I felt tired but it was still a good run. I felt kind of tired all day, chalking it up to lack of sleep (can't go to bed at midnight and get up to run at 6:30am each day!). To get motivated for the evening run, I offered to jog slowly with my husband while he hiked quickly with his 50 lb backpack (he is training to hike the Appalachian Trail next month). Instead of doing 3 miles, we did 4 miles at a 14:40 min/mi pace. To make it more challenging I ran in the grass next to the sidewalk rather than on the sidewalk. For folks who know Florida grass, this was the very thick, spongy St. Augustine grass. It gave my ankles a good workout and the give allowed me to take smaller strides and keep pace with my husband. Overall, a good day.

Thursday was a cross training day and strength day. When I got to the small gym in our building the elliptical was in use so I used the stationary bike for 15 min to warm up, did 3 sets around on the weights, then ended with 15 min on the elliptical machine.

This morning I did a 5 mile run. My Garmin was acting a bit funny - I think it was off this morning. But it recorded a 5.18 mile distance at 55:59 min - a 10:48 pace - and an average heart rate of 159. I felt bit on the tired side this morning but was able to keep pace thanks once again to my trusty podrunner 174 bpm mix.

Looking back at the week, it was a great training week. I am on my plan, but I am feeling a bit tired. I think I need to do better in the sleep department - but I believe I am adjusting to the more rigorous training routine. It seems to be paying off. My pace for the shorter distances is consistently under 11 min / mile and my heart rate is staying in the aerobic zone longer.

Now to rest up and see how 10 miles goes this weekend!

Run strong everyone!

6 comments:

Kevin said...

You ARE an exercise machine!!! Good luck with your 10 and have a safe weekend!

Unknown said...

Your hitting a level of resistance from your body in terms of energy level... once your body says "Hey! She's not letting up on this exercise stuff," the level of resistance will become a level of support. Just stick with it and eat healthy... kudos to you for sticking to your workout schedule!

Susan said...

Sounds like a GREAT week. I'd like to try "two-a-days" soon.

Maddy said...

Sounds like a great week! Have a good long run this weekend.

Cory said...

Sounds like you are right on track. Keep it up.

ShirleyPerly said...

Excellent job, Chris!

The second run of a day is usually done at an easy pace so you did just fine. 2-a-day workouts are a good alternative for those who can't get a longer run done mid-week, but you need to make sure you are getting enough rest/sleep. They can wear you down since you don't have much time to recover before your next workout.