Thursday, February 15, 2007

Thursday Casting - Foot Impressions

Where DID the week go? I can't believe I have not blogged since Saturday. Of course, I am still on hiatus from my running, but the workouts and physical therapy (PT) have been going well. Here is what I have been up to this week. On all days I am working on my PT exercise and stretching assignments as well:

Sunday: 30 min on elliptical
Monday: Rest day, PT appointment
Tuesday: 30 min on elliptical and strength training
Wednesday: 30 min on elliptical and stretches
Thursday: PT appointment - got casted for my orthotics. Plan to do 30 min elliptical and strength training later this afternoon.

The PT is going well. That combined with taking ibuprophen 3 times a day has given me more pain free moments. The exercises are getting easier as time goes on. When it is over, I am going to miss those foot and calf massages! The ultrasound therapy feels pretty good too.

This weekend we are going to be out of town so I won't get another training day until next Tuesday - but I will still do my PT stuff, so all is not lost :-)

Today I spoke with my physical therapist about my "condition." One of my legs (my right, unaffected leg) is 1 cm shorter than the other one. I have been wearing heel lifts provided by my chiropractor to address this. She confirmed that my flat feet are causing my feet to overpronate when walking (or running) so the shoes and inserts I have been using have been the right ones (running shoes with lots of support and nice stiff inserts with arch supports). The custom orthotics will help. Today they made a "cast" of my feet. In a couple of weeks I will have my new orthotics - for my running and work shoes.

Many of my PT exercises have been focused on strengthening my ankles. This will help take some of the pressure off my plantar fascia - thus helping me feel better and stay better.

So progress is being made...but I am still counting down to the day when I can start running again, even if its just with my daughter around the block. They tell me I should still be ok to run the Winter Park Road race on March 24th.

3 comments:

Susan said...

In the grand scheme of things, my custom orthotics have saved my life!

Kevin said...

My orthotics saved my life too Chris! Hope they do the trick for you too!

But how cool is it we have something (running) we love to do so much that we obsess when it's taken from us!

Hang in there Chris. We are all thinking of you.

Kevin

Maddy said...

Good to see you back!

Really, when you think about it, The Winter Park Road Race is only 5 weeks away! That's not long at all! And you will be New and Improved!

Have a great time this weekend.