Saturday, January 14, 2012

It's Already 2012....



Hello blog, my old running adventures friend! I write more on Facebook than I do here, but I have such fond memories within the pages of this blog. And the adventures continue. So, perhaps I can come visit a little more often.

The picture above is after the 2012 Walt Disney World Marathon weekend. This year I ran the Inaugural Marathon Relay with my sister Tammy. A very different race indeed! Neither of us was really trained up for this one. After 6 weeks of physical therapy for a pulled calf muscle from back in October, I had just a 10 miler under my belt going into this one. The goal was to take it easy, enjoy the race, run 2 min and walk 1 min the entire way. We also had race retreat packages which made the time there very enjoyable. We had an incredible time! My time for the first half was 2:49. Our team time was 6:30. A marathon relay PR! :-)

Next year is the 20th Disney World Marathon - an event I am sure will be a big deal. As much as I enjoyed the relay, I think I might have to run the full. We shall see how well I can train for that! :-)

In the meanwhile, lots of running planned for this year. My "target" races will likely be the Winter Park Road Race and the OUC Half Marathon in terms of working on time. Jim and I will run the Wine and Dine for the third year in a row - this year in November. I hope to run a 5K race with my 12 year old daughter AND I am not sure but I would like to find a nice race to run for my 50th birthday this year. I am not sure it will be a full marathon, but I would like it to be at least a half or a relay with family!

So here is to 2012 - 5 years since I ran my first marathon, 10 years since I ran that first 5K, and the beginning of a lifetime of running adventures.

4 comments:

Susan said...

The last paragraph is my favorite!

Susan said...

And I miss the pre-Facebook days. I loved hardcore blogging!

Michelle said...

I blogged throughout learning to run and up through my first 5K. I fell off the map and came back to blogging today-- spurred on by the decision to run my first half this year at no other than the Disney Wine and Dash. Reading your post was just another in many affirmations of my decision. Ok, what I choose to see as affirmations :) So, thanks for the post and maybe I'll see you at Disney!

MarathonChris said...

Hi Michelle! Best wishes (it doesn't take luck) on your half marathon training this year! Blogging is certainly a great way to chronicle the details of the journey - and sometimes we remember why we got into this crazy thing called running when we look back at those times. Keep in touch - let's try to hook up at Wine and Dine!