Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Sub-1 hour 10K??


Note the dead palm tree out in front of my house....when the cold is finally gone those dead leaves are coming off!!

I think I might have a sub-1 hour 10K in me....

So I am putting it out there for this weekend's Winter Park Road Race.

Unless something unusual happens, I will PR this weekend (current PR is 1:03:57).

If I have a really good day, I think I can bust 1 hour. That is a 9:39 min/mi pace which I think I can maintain. That is, as long as I don't use my usual 10K strategy, which from the comments on Shirley's blog, a number of other folks use. It's the "go out too hard and try to survive" approach to 10Ks. What I really want to do is go out easier, negative split, and finish strong. I do it on my 5 milers all the time, so this should be a no brainer.

I just need to watch the start....I think I will focus on mental training for the rest of this week! :-)

Race report Sat or Sun we shall see!

5 comments:

Marathon Maritza said...

yoooouuuu caaannnnn dooooo iiiitttt!

Go, Chris, go!

Becca said...

Kickin' ars & takin' names!!
You're totally going to do do this, and by the way, you look GREAT!!

Irish Blue said...

Good luck Chris!! You can do it.

ShirleyPerly said...

Yes, I'm in agreement with the others. You got a PR in you and it's just a matter of pulling it off by running a smart race. I hope to do the same.

See you there!!

lizzie lee said...

Wish you the best, but guess what if doesn't happen? You are still there. That is my goal also for this year, but I don't want to sweat it. My PR is shy of the goal for 32 seconds.

Thanks again for the amazing run last weekend. I got to the conclusion I need a running partner. I went for a 10 mile and I am glad you did all the talking. I couldn't keep up with you. What was tremendously interesting was that I heard you so close, and many times I turned my head because I thought there was a truck or motorcycle by me (man, you run in a busy place!!). Also I was so thirsty while you were drinking water. I didn't take water w/me, and I could feel your satisfaction. At one point when you were drinking I was running just by a guy that was cleaning his garage with a hose. I was very close to ask him permission to drink water! It was contagious... Thanks AGAIN, big time. I appreciate the gift.