Thursday, January 01, 2009

Hapy New Year!! A Look back at 2008


My mom and I

It's a new year - 2009. One can't help but reflect on the past year while looking forward to the new one ahead. Today, I am looking back.

For 2008 - it has been a great year of running and life adventures. I am thankful each day for all the blessings I continue to enjoy in my life.

On the running front, it wasn't a big year for races or PRs - not as much as 2007 was. My guess is that 2007 was my second year of consistent running and I had a lot of room to grow. 2008 proved to be a little less consistent with my training, less races - but still some accomplishments over the past two years since I have started tracking my training.

2008 Running Goals:

I looked but couldn't find my running goals for 2008. As it turns out, when the New Year comes, I am still just about to run a race - I kind of consider the Disney Marathon as part of my previous year's efforts since most of the training takes place in the year leading up to the marathon. In general, I was seeking an improved 10K time with the Winter Park Road Race (I did better - but training got trumped by my work schedule) and I have sought out the 5 hour marathon (secret hope for San Antonio but it was not to be). I ran less races to focus on my training.

2008 Running Achievements:

I ran a total of 1066 miles in 2008 - more than I have in any other year.
My average weekly miles = 20.6 (highest) and highest week = 48 (highest)
My average monthly miles = 89 (highest) and highest month = 177 in Sept (highest)
My average long run pace in the fall was about 12:25 min/mile (fastest)

I ran 5 races this year:

Race 1: 2008 Disney World Marathon - I ran this race with my husband and set a course PR of 5:35. The very next day we signed up for the 2009 Goofy.















Race 2: Winter Park Road Race (10K) - I started a Higdon 10K training plan to PR at this distance, but was knocked off my training plan by a tough work schedule. I still squeaked out a PR by 3 sec at 1:03:57.

(No pictures at the 15K this year. None last year)

Race 3: Miracle Mile 15K - I used this as a marathon training run - trying to maintain my target marathon pace. I ran the race comfortably (not trying to push) and ended up missing a PR by 1 min.




(last year's picture - they missed me this year) Race 4: UCF 5 Miler - I like to run this race because it is near my house and 5 miles is a cool race distance. I was scheduled to run 15-16 miles for a long run so I ran 8 miles before the race (I ran to the race), then ran the 5 mile race at a much slower than PR pace (more a fast long run pace), then ran the 3 miles home.








Race 5: Rock n Roll San Antonio Marathon - I signed up for this inaugural race to participate with a good Texas friend of mine who was running her very first marathon for TNT. I was SO ready for the distance, but 2 days before the race came down with a nasty chest cold. I still ran a respectable 5:37 - and got really sick for the rest of the week....but I accomplished a lot during my training including my biggest training month ever in Sept (177 miles) averaging 44 miles / week.






So it appears that 2008 was a great running year. Next - 2009 goals!

6 comments:

Susan said...

I think 2008 was a GREAT running year for you. And you know what? Your photos reflect your dedicated nature. You look so "tough" in them, like "Move over, Radcliffe, I am coming through!" You are an inspiration, and I appreciate having you in my corner very much.

Anonymous said...

What an inspiring and impressive year! And your race photos are great, mine always look goofy. Nice work and I look forward to following your 2009 goals & achievements.

Maddy said...

You had a fantastic 2008 for sure! You were working like mad before the WPRR and you still got a PR. - A PR is a PR!

I'm looking forward to seeing you next week and kicking off 2009 with Race #1 and #2 of the year with you!

Drusy said...

Good luck Chris with the Disney races! Hard to improve on last year but you're on track. I hope you'll be able to get out of work for the RRT!

Irish Blue said...

Those are great pics and great accomplishments. Here's to an even better 2009!!

lizzie lee said...

Chris, very nice summary. I did like it a lot. Beautiful picture with Mom.

I am so thankful for your friendship, and hope we finally we can meet and run together.

sincere-lee
lizzie lee